Sunday, April 02, 2006

What went wrong?

Have you followed the news story ... minister's wife shooting her husband? I first heard about it at work - lunch room commentary. I fortunately was not asked for my thoughts on this story, just took some interesting glances. Gene read this piece on Yahoo News and asked me if he was next. I finally sat down this afternoon to read the story and view the pics of the family. I still don't know which direction to head with thoughts, emotions. I have run through being judgemental, speculative, defensive, sad, mad, curious... the only thing that I know isn't right would be to make fun of this tragedy.

I read this article, Depression Hits Some Preachers' Wives and thought about how sad the truth is at times. I glanced at some of the commentary from readers and saw headings like "Where was Jesus"... "Why didn't Jesus help her?" ...and became even more conflicted.

It seems that the people in the church respected this family, they are planting flowers in memory of their pastor so he must have been a good guy. -Why did she rent a condo on the beach? -This is a church that is facing trouble. How will they represent Jesus to their small community. How will God show His glory? Will she find peace in jail? What of the kids?

One thing I know to do is pray. It also causes me to think that us being committed to one another, bearing burdens, celebrating victories, dreaming, working, praying...together, is a very good thing. MaryAnn commented to me today that somewhere in our name it should also be said that "we live dangerous lives" - how true that is - in many ways.

Any thoughts?